What do you do when your family suffers a death from a motorcycle accident?

What do you do when your family suffers a death from a motorcycle accident?

You have suffered the loss of a loved family member or other loved one due to a motorcycle accident. What do you do now? What are the steps you need to take to protect your family during this time of tragedy? Here are some tips to help you during this challenging time in your life.

First, do not talk to any insurance claims adjuster – even one from your own insurance comapny – about the accident and the loss of your family member. Why not? One main reason: the insurance claims adjuster’s job is to not pay you any money for your loss. As harsh, mean and unjust as that is, it is the truth. The employees of the insurance company, your insurance company or the person who caused the accident and death, will try to pay you nothing during your time of tragedy. Also, anything you do say to any insurance claims adjuster will be used against you if later to try to pay you nothing.

Second, do contact an attorney that focuses exclusively on injury law to help you. Why? To protect your rights; to represent your best interest; to make sure you get fair financial compensation for your tragic loss of your loved one and to educate you through the process of a motorcycle wrongful death or motorcycle accidental death.

Third, the “estate” must be handled. Understand that with a motorcycle accident death – as with any type of vehicle accident death – the case is different than a serious motorcycle accident because a person died. So, the estate of the decedent (person who died in the motorcycle accident) needs to be handled through the appropriate court so that all assets (money, real estate, other things of value) are distributed in a legal and fair way.

If the person who suffered the motorcycle accident death had a valid “Living Will” or “Trust” then that document will state how the decedent’s assets are to be distributed to family, friends, etc. If there is no Will or Trust, then the “Laws of Intestacy” of the State of Utah will state how the assets are to be distributed, usually to biological “heirs” (wife, children) and sometimes “heirs at law”; heirs who may not be biologically related but may be related by adoption, marriage and other situations. So, it is always best to have a Will or Trust so you can control how your assets will be distributed if you or a loved one dies in a motocycle accident.