Injuries Caused by Dog Attacks
Dogs have very sharp teeth and very strong jaws. They also have over 60 different kinds of bacteria in their mouths. Given these factors, it’s not surprising that a dog bite can do serious damage to a victim. Along with bites, Utah law also holds dog owners responsible for any injury caused by a dog, which broadens the types of injuries you may recover for.
Compensable injuries caused by dog bites include the following:
- Puncture wounds
- Cuts and lacerations
- Crush injuries
- Fractured bones
- Tissue loss
- Sprains and strains
- Bruises and abrasions
- Emotional trauma
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
Even worse than bone and tissue damage that can occur is the possibility of developing serious infection and disease caused by the bacteria in the dog’s mouth. Some possible deadly diseases caused by dog bites include:
- Rabies. Rabies is a virus carried by animals that affects the brain and is almost always fatal. If an unvaccinated dog bites someone, it may pass the virus on to the victim. Immediate treatment will be needed.
- Pasteurella. This bacteria is seen in over half of all dog bite cases. Most people exposed to this bacteria through a dog bite will experience redness, swelling, and pain around the wound. People with compromised immune systems, however, could become seriously ill.
- MRSA. A resistant type of Staphylococcus infection, MRSA can cause skin, lung, and urinary tract infections and can be life-threatening if it spreads to the bloodstream.
- Tetanus. A toxin produced by a particular bacterium carried by animals, tetanus can cause rigid paralysis, particularly in victims who have suffered a deep puncture wound.
If you are bitten by a dog, it is important that you see a doctor immediately and begin antibiotics or other treatments if the doctor suspects infection.
While the Doctor Treats Your Injuries, I Will Investigate Your Case
If you suffer any of these serious injuries from a dog attack, you could face a long road to physical and emotional recovery. As an experienced and compassionate personal injury attorney, I will see to it that you are on the road to physical recovery as I pursue a financial recovery on your behalf.